The New C-4 Family of Forms:
Frequently Asked Questions
Common questions that were raised at the NYS Workers Compensation Board
EC-4Narr Online Filing Demonstration
Seminars are answered below.
- How do I start to file C-4 electronically?
The New York State Workers Compensation Board requires each Health Care Provider in a practice to register and obtain a User Id and Password.
- Is it mandatory to file C-4 electronically?
No. You can mail the printed paper forms as you did before. By filing electronically, you save the cost of printing and mailing. The EC-4Narr must be filed electronically and it replaces the C-4 and C-4.2. The additional advantage of filing the EC-4Narr is the ability to include diagnostic test results and explanations.
- Can I keep filing with the old C-4?
No. It is mandatory starting April 1st, 2009 to file using the new C-4 forms.
- If I file electronically, do I still need to mail the forms to the insurance carriers?
Yes, at least for now. Software vendors are actively working with major insurance carriers to enable electronic filing.
- What is the difference between Web Submission and XML Submission?
Web Submission is to file one by one, XML Submission is bulk / batch filing.
- We file lot of claims, it takes too much time to file one by one on web, what should we do?
Contact the authorized vendors, they have software to let you file in batches to the Board.
- What is the requirement for narrative text?
There is detail description of Narrative Requirements on page 2 of the EC-4Narr form.
- Our office has several doctors, is it one registration or multiple?
Multiple. Each doctor needs to register.
- How long does it take to register?
About 1-2 weeks. You need to sign the registration form, mail it to the Board, then they will mail you a User ID and password.
- Is there a way that we can link our existing software to the web site so that we are not doing double entry on all our patients?
No. You can contact Software vendors to migrate your existing patient data.
- Can I file Authorization Request (C-4Auth) electronically to the Board?
No. Only C-4 and C-4.2 can be filed electronically as EC-4Narr to the Board.
- We mailed C-4Auth to insurance, waited for long time, no response, what should we do?
By law, insurance carriers are required to respond within 30 days, but they can claim they did not receive your mail. A good solution is to work with Software vendors to file electronically, and get an acknowledgement / confirmation from the insurance carrier.
- How do I do XML Submission?
You need to pass the certification first. You can contact the authorized vendors, they provide software to generate XML batch claims to submit to the Board.
- After I filed C-4 on the web, can I retrieve the claims?
No. You can work with Software vendors, their software keeps record of claims filed.
- After I filed C-4 on the web, I found error, what should I do? Is there a way I can void the previous filed claim?
No. But you can file a new one with the correct information. If you use Practice Management Software, they have intelligence built in to check for errors.
- Can the C-4 forms be faxed to the Board?
No. The C-4 forms must be mailed or filed electronically with the Board.